The date for the Chinese New Year in 2016 is February 8th. This is the year of the Fire Monkey. It is the Fire Hóu (火 猴) year of the Fire Monkey. Fire is the third of the ten celestial stems and 猴 Hóu (Monkey) is the ninth of the twelve terrestrial branches.
Unlike western calendars, the Chinese calendar has names that are repeated every 60 years. Within the ‘Stem-Branch’ system is shorter cycle of 12 years denoted by animals.
Year of the Monkey
The monkey ranks ninth of all the animals in the Chinese zodiac. The monkey is a clever animal and is frequently compared to a smart person. Pictures of monkeys are often placed on walls and doors to bring good fortune.
Characteristics of Monkey People
- People born in the year of the monkey are lively, flexible, witty and versatile with strong practical ability.
- They love to be active and they enjoy sports.
- Often highly intelligent, they are talented problem solvers, and are self-assured, sociable and innovative.
- They love being the centre of attention and have a magnetic personality.
- Monkey people have an insatiable desire for knowledge and show amazing creativity in their work.
- They like challenges and love to succeed, although they can be discouraged if things don’t go their way.
- Monkeys are mischievous; they are masters of the practical joke (though they can sometimes take things too far)
- They tend to be healthy (probably due to their active lifestyle) but should remember to take a break from their busy schedule now and again.
- Negative traits are that they can be jealous, suspicious, cunning, arrogant and impatient, and tend to look down on others.
2016 is the Year of the Fire Monkey, fire being the dominant element this year. (the other elements are wood, metal, water and earth)
Fire brings huge energy and determination to the Monkeys. They strive to gain the upper hand and like nothing better than to be at the top of the tree. Being recognised for their achievements gives them greater job satisfaction than money.
In business they are good negotiators, persuasive and organised, but can get ‘burnt’ by taking risky shortcuts. Fire monkey women, will be willing to give up their own wealth or dreams to raise their family and to ensure their spouse and children are successful.
Fire Monkeys should remember that there is a saying in China: “The further up the tree a Monkey goes, the more you see his bottom.” If they use their talents and energy well, they can be extremely successful and popular with all.
Lucky colours: white, gold, blue. Avoid red, black.
Lucky numbers: 1, 8, 7 Avoid 9, 2, 5
Lucky flower: chrysanthemum
Compatibility: rat or dragon. Avoid tiger or pig